Domain Awareness is a computerized monitoring system used by the city of New York. It mimics several of the Machine's functions: it monitors various video feeds and electronic communications. The system is connected to over 3000 surveillance cameras and thousands of radiation detectors on police boats, patrol cars and personnel. The system, created by the NYPD and Microsoft at a cost of $40 million, went live in August of 2012.
History of the System
References in the Show
- In “In Extremis”, IAB uses satellite photos from Domain Awareness to locate disturbed plots of land to find Detective Stills.
- In “Reasonable Doubt”, it is used to locate Vanessa Watkins and Scott Rollins' stolen SUV.
- In “Razgovor”, Carter mentions that the housing complex where Genrika Zhirova lives is "in a blind spot where funding for Domain Awareness ran out".
- In “Mors Praematura”, a chat log on an anonymous TOR network reveals Jason Greenfield hacked the Domain Awareness in 2010.
- Samaritan accesses three Domain Awareness servers in its search for Harold Finch. (“Death Benefit”)